Aging is a natural part of life. While it’s normal for our body functions to deteriorate with age, there are many things elderly individuals can do to improve their health and prevent illness. At Home Care Assistance of New Hampshire, we believe that every individual can live a happy and healthy lifestyle in their old age. Our proprietary Balanced Care Method™ is a science-based approach to elder care that is focused on specific lifestyle factors within our control including diet, exercise, socialization and calmness. By following this program, our caregivers are helping to extend and enhance the lives of their senior clients, while helping them to age gracefully within the comfort of their own home.
In order to improve vitality, wellbeing and overall health, there is no better source than a nutritious diet of fruits and vegetables. While a healthy eating plan and proper exercise can keep you fit, there are certain foods that go the extra mile in helping to improve your immune system, build strength and heighten your energy level.
These are the top 5 best foods to consume on a regular basis to improve your overall health:
- Berries- blueberries, raspberries, cranberries and all types of berries. The darker the berry is, the more health benefits it carries.
- Green leafy vegetables- spinach and other leafy greens can protect one’s skin from negative effects and damage. With a rich source of vitamins and minerals, green lefty vegetables are a knockout powerhouse that can fight for your body’s health.
- Nuts- nuts are a great source of unsaturated fat and are rich in protein.
- Fish- salmon, tuna and sardines are great choices in fish; all of which are high in protein and rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Dark chocolate- Chocolate not only sooths the soul, but who knew it could be good for your body too? Dark chocolate is beneficial in reducing inflammation, fighting against harmful UV exposure and is great at increasing circulation in the skin, which improves moister retention.
For elderly individuals who want to remain in their home as they age, maintaining their health is a priority. Diet is just one component of a healthy lifestyle, but is can have a significant effect on your ability to fight off illness, build muscle strength and filter out toxins. Our New Hampshire Elder Care Services are customized to meet the dietary needs and preferences of our clients. Call 603-471-3004 today to speak with a Care Manager about how our caregivers can help you live a happier and healthier life at home.